The Road Home

Where two fabulous women spill most of their beans.

9.07.2005

you know, I just read Joe's post about the storm, and it really made me think. I haven't really posted about the reality of it, just the fantasy, because I'm not sure how to accept the reality of it. We don't have television here in our island life, but that hasn't hindered the story in the least. We're pretty familiar with hurricanes now, we feel like old pros, evacuation of one, and just sticking it out for Katrina. People on the island here are much like folks in New Orleans, "bring on the storm, we've seen it before". I read Time Magazine today, which I would recommend to read about what happened to those old levies, the attitude of a party city, and how most just couldn't afford to leave. It was scary the similarities in the attitudes of our two laid back communities. Maybe it all just hits a little to close to home. Hurricane parties, hell yes, they are the times not to miss, but maybe I'll think twice before shooting my mouth off about how I'm not leaving for some old storm. I'm heartbroken for people I don't know, for those I can't reach, and seriously thought about taking my paycheck, buying a plane ticket, and getting as close to those who needed as I could. I would like to think that I'm strong enough to jump right in, give what I could, and somehow feel that I done something when it seems like I'm so helpless against something so big. In truth, I know I would end up being an emotional wreck, probably not helping at all. So I bought cases of water today, dropped them off at a designated help location, and tried to feel good about that.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative Keep up the great work. Here's a subject that interests many; how to buy & sell everything, like health food store on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Ok whatever anonymous. lol

I totally jive with what your saying. I think it's wonderful that you drove water over to a relief center. It should make you feel a bit better because it's more than most people would ever do.

I totally apologize for not having the chance to call you back yet. Everything is starting to wind down here, so once this weekend is over, I will give you a ring and we can catch up old school style.

Promise!

Please be good and give my love Jules. ;)

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A party isn't worth risking a life, that's for sure. My mom grew up on an island, and we knew early on not to ever think that the water was our friend. We swam, boated, gazed at its beauty – but when it's angry, it's much much better to head for high land. There will be some bright sides after the storm; uniting and working together is always positive after something like this. Just keep yourself safe. Everything is replaceable except for people.

– t-bone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home