The Road Home

Where two fabulous women spill most of their beans.

8.10.2005

Frangapani

I'm sure you have heard the expression 'Stop and smell the roses', well down here it is a little bit different. We have Frangapani, and no that is NOT a new STD going around. It is the most amazing smelling flower. If you live in the south you could compare it to honeysuckle or night blooming jasmine. It is sweet, pungent and beautiful. It goes along well with the other cliche you hear uttered by locals down here often, 'life is short'. I smell the frangapani every night on the walk back to my jeep from work or a night out and I suck in all I can through my nostrils and it never fails to make me smile. I worked fourteen hours today, on my feet, dead tired and I still smiled when I smelled it.
Some days I wonder why it took me 27 years to get here. Why I let myself live anywhere else but surrounded by beauty. Why did it take me so long? I know there is a logical answer to that question, but down here I let my emotions do the asking. It is amazing how difficult it is to answer emotional questions with logical answers.
My answer has evolved into life is too short and damn now I'm having a good time with it.

3 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Joe said...

You've made the leap and now you see how beautiful the world is on the outside. I'm still waiting to make that leap myself. But it's nice to know that it's out there waiting for me if and when I choose to accept it.

I'm SO happy for you!

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frangapani sounds like something I had on a pizza once. May the pizza of your life continue to be frangapani'd and full of all your favorite toppings.

– Texas T-bone

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Christa said...

nice pizza analogy, but now I'm looking for a way to share the fragrance of the island with you...I'll let you know what i come up with

 

Post a Comment

<< Home