The Road Home

Where two fabulous women spill most of their beans.

3.01.2005

Will spring ever arrive?!?!

I guess I can't complain too much, the sun is shining, but it's 21 degrees. It's March, for cryin' out loud. Growing up as a kid, I can remember spending my birthday at the Fort Worth Zoo, or going to the museums, or whatever birthday event us country folks would enjoy, but it was usually pretty nice, about 60 degrees, and sunny. Maybe that's just how I remember my birthday, but with the B-day looming ever nearer, I can't help but wish it would be nice here, if even for a day. I may just get that wish, as the weather man says it might be a nice week, though I won't hold my breath.
I usually don't get all that wound up about birthday, especially my own. Fortunately, I have Julia, who always makes my birthday special, and how great is that? No sappy family stories or anything, but if it weren't for her, my birthday would probably come and go, and no one would really notice. Except for maybe my boyfriend, who would figure out why I was so mad at him, but not till about 3 days later.
I blame my restless feet on my birthday this year. I guess that's not true, I blame my restless feet on my outlaw ancestors from Deep in the Heart of Texas, raisin' hell, and chasing saloon girls, but closer to the point, bring along a birthday, and suddenly, I'm ready to raise hell myself. Suddenly, I can see all the things I haven't gotten done. I realize that my job isn't much to get excited about, my life isn't much to get excited about, over all, there's not really a whole lot I can get excited about. How did this happen? When did I become "that girl"?
Thus ensues the plans for change in my life. Julia and I have spent hours talking about it, what it means, what it will take, and how hard it's suddenly going to be to not get to see her everyday. Over a cold beer last night, surrounded by rednecks, music from the juke box, and inflatable deer heads on the wall, Julia and I decided it's not a bad place to be. It's exciting to have new adventures on the horizon. After we parted ways, and were getting settled in the for the night, a phone call from Julia only reinforced how great a friend she is, and how encouraging she has been, and I'm sure will continue to be. I'm just glad she didn't make me get tear-y at the bar, nothing worse than cryin' in your beer. And on the continuing saga of the man I love, and how to make him understand the changes that are obviously coming, credit to him for not fighting with me about it last night, for picking a fight about something completely off the subject, while ignoring the white elephant in the room, for not giving me the silent treatment for being at the local bar, where someone might recognize me as his girlfriend, but for just falling asleep on the couch with me, stroking my hair, and telling me that he loves me. It couldn't have been more of what I needed at the moment.

1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what day your birthday is, but it's supposed to be mid-60s and sunny the next few days in Cowtown. I'm not saying that to make you feel homesick, just to confirm your memories are correct.

From afar, I wouldn't say you're "that girl" because you are looking toward the future and your next great adventure. Here's to hoping it's a good one. *clink*

– Texas T-bone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home