The Road Home

Where two fabulous women spill most of their beans.

4.25.2005

Patience is not my forte

Today is just the kind of day I shouldn't be blogging. It's one of those rainy, cold days that makes you wish that you could sit in the window and cry right along with the clouds. It's cold and wet and tiring. What is even worse is I'm home from vacation. When I drove into work after going through 20 hours of traveling I cried. This town is too small for me. I don't fit anymore, if I ever did. It is like one of those child's toys that teaches shapes, putting me in this town is like putting one of those square blocks into a round hole. No matter how hard you try or which way you turn in, its not going to fit. There will be a few times when you twist it just right you think it's going to go in, like today when a man I respect very much told me he was proud of my efforts, but in the long run that square block won't fit.

The decision has been made. I'm not moving to Texas, I'm moving to Key West. It's cheesy, but I was sitting in a bar that is set on the highest building there, watching the sunset, which is a nightly celebration and listening to a guy do bad renditions of Jimmy Buffet songs. Everything in the keys is set by mile markers, Key West being zero and Miami being 158. The musician said this, "you are at the end of the road, my friends." It hit me, he was right. Like the name of this site, The Road Home, how can I keep traveling it if I'm at the end of THE road? I may take a few back trips, just in case, but I think the road home is US1, if you want to put it in tangible terms. At least for now. It is said down there that most people that move there leave after three years, but if they stay for seven they stay forever. I don't know if I will make it seven or not but I don't really care. If it feels like home for three than that will be a peaceful three for me. It doesn't hurt that I will be EIGHTEEN HUNDRED miles from my in-laws and I will still miss MY family. It's just as easy to get on a plane to FL than it is to get to MO. My family will figure that out quickly, while I hope the in-laws don't necessarily. If they do I am SO taking them to the drag show and having an all drap dinner party.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I absolutely loved this post. Great analogies and I definitely understand where you're coming from on all of this. Thank God that we have the friends that we have to get us through these transitions, right?

I think you and Chesa might be my long lost twins. Why did they ever separate us? All its done is make it that much harder to find our birth mother.

Enjoy the rest of your day, ok?

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Christa said...

well, let's not claim my mom, she's real bitch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home