The Road Home

Where two fabulous women spill most of their beans.

6.23.2004

Took a drive in the country today, which is the best thing I've done for my soul since I got here almost a week ago. I'm afraid I got a little spoiled while living in Missouri, though don't tell anyone that I admit that. I am, without a doubt, from now on, and for always, till even after I'm dead, from Texas. That's where my heart is, and though life leads me away from my home, that is where my heart will remain. However, in the time that I've spent in Missouri over the last couple of years, I've come to appreciate it for it's little blessings. Granted, there are no longhorns, or windmills or pump jacks (you good southern people understand what I'm saying on the pump jack thing), while Missouri doesn't have those things, you can drive on any day to the creek. Not just any creek, but a spring-fed, so clear you can watch the slugs creep, under big shade trees, and the water so cold it makes your skin tingle kinda creek. There are an abundance of those peaceful get-a-ways in a certain corner of Missouri. Many summer days have been spent laying out in a rubber tube, or washing the Jeep with in the creek.
I missed those things today. Oklahoma is famous for it's red dirt, and red dirt it is!!!! The creeks here are all muddy, and muddled, there's no way I'd swim in those, much less take the Green Weenie in there (that's the Jeep), I'd have red mud in every nook and cranny, and not just on the Jeep. heehee So, as I was driving today, glad to be rid of the city and it's fast drivers, I realize that I missed those crisp, cool Missouri creeks. I must sound like a real hick about now. I don't' apologize. If longing for a simple life makes me a hick, then my name is HICK, nice to meet you. Now if I could just incorporate StarBucks into all that, I'd be (like we hicks say) "just fine as frog hair".
toodles